Friday, July 3, 2015

First Attempt At Airbrushing!

I'll start off with the completed kit.


I finished this kit about a week ago. It was dragged out for about a month since I had a wedding to attend in Canada! Anyway, there are a few problem areas because of my inexperience (which I'll try to comment on below), but regardless I'm satisfied with the kit!


I like this shot, but not how the final product looks.
Here, you can see quite a few flaws. I'll start with the sanding marks on the right shoulder. I was actually kind of just lazy to sand and prime again, hoping the primer would fill it out. Nope. 
I'll remember to be diligent in the future. Next, the backpack has a frosty/grainy finish to it and I'm not sure if it was the primer beneath that made it that way or how I shot the black base... Or maybe both. Finally, towards the end of doing all the rounds of painting, I got hit with my first experience of build fatigue and I did a lazy job with the Future top coat.

Thrusters
 Here I handbrushed a base coat of Tamiya Flat Aluminum on both inside and out. The blue is from their Weather Mastering Kit D; Burnt Blue. I dipped my paintbrush in thinner to bind the pigments and painted 'em on. On the inside I just brushed a few coats of Gold Leaf.

         


Fins and Psychoframe
Same as the thrusters, I hand painted Flat Aluminum beneath and then Gold Leaf on top. 




 Same as the thrusters, I hand painted FlatAluminum beneath and then Gold Leaf on top. 
However, I did add a few layers of Clear Yellow to warm up the gold!
About 2/3 of the pieces left and that's a wrap!

The current build I'm working on now is my first Master Grade! Gundam Astray Red Frame Kai which will be Ninja Slayer themed...



No comments:

Post a Comment