Sunday, August 2, 2015

WIP RG Zaku II in Desert Digital Camouflage

My first update for this kit!
a lot more after the jump!

Second update here!

Paints used! This was my first time using Mr. Surfacer as well.
So far, I've used a different primer for each kit I've painted (this kit only being the 3rd). I like it alot. But I wanted to try the decanted Tamiya again.
 Primed and ready to go.
 I mixed the Tamiya black with gun metal to darken it. I was looking for a darker metallic pigment vs the vanilla gun metal.
 Chrome silver for some of the inner frame and a panel of the shield.
 Shitty masking, but hopefully I can correct it as I finish the rest of the details.
 Masking the base.
 Each 'pixel' is 1mm x 1mm
Also, you can find this stencil sheet here!
 First pieces to be applied.
And for the rest I forgot to take close-ups 
After the 2nd coat! I had to play with the paint for awhile before I shot this layer on. Even then it turned out darker than I wanted. 
 Also, I made a huge mistake. As it was my first time ever working with a camouflage stencil... I peeled everything off. Immediately happy with my results but realized what was I gonna do for the next coats!? 
Eventually I just try to mask over each of the browns instead of A) remasking it piece for piece, B) strip and do it over again
 And here is the 3rd coat. Took a lot more pics this time! You'll see that some stencils are brown and that's because I reused some previously.
 Here I wanted to test out the final coat to see what the finished product would look like! As I took a long break and wouldn't be back for a few hours.
Everything painted and demasked(?) haha. You can see the amount of stencils I used. There should have been more if I didn't make that mistake on the 1st coat.

After everything said and done I'm mostly satisfied with this kit so far. It took me awhile to understand the USMC MARPAT camo and I think some parts hit it square while some not so much. I say this because you really need to balance out the colors and spacing of each stencil, otherwise it'll look awkward if done incorrectly (which some pieces are).

After this I coated with some Future and now I'm getting ready for decals, panel lines, and weathering. Afterwards I'll be doing the weapons!

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment